Here is a list of my favorite albums, tracks, and concerts from 2012. This was a great year for music and I am hoping the trend continues. See ya around.
Top Albums of 2012:
- Hot Water Music – Exister
- Converge – All We Love We Leave Behind
- John K. Samson – Provincial
- Cloud Nothings – Attack on Memory
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – The Heist
- And So I watch You From Afar – Gangs
- Metz – Metz
- The Mountain Goats – Transcendental Youth
- Tom Tykwer/Johnny Klimek/Reinhold Heil – Cloud Atlas Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Gifts From Enola – A Healthy Fear
Top Tracks of 2012:
- Hot Water Music – Paid in Full (Exister)
- Cloud Nothings – Wasted Days (Attack on Memory)
- And So I Watch You From Afar – 7 Billion People All Alive At Once (Gangs)
- John K. Samson – Longitudinal Centre (Provincial)
- Converge – Aimless Arrow/ All We Love We Leave Behind (I could not decide between these two tracks) (All We Love We Leave Behind)
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Same Love (The Heist)
- The Gaslight Anthem – “45” (Handwritten)
- NoFX – Cell Out (Self Entitled)
- Matt Skiba & The Sekrets – Falling Like Rain (Babylon)
- Blessings – Bittervatten (Bittervatten)
Top Concerts of 2012:
- The Refused – Showbox Sodo (8/28/12)
- John K. Samson- The Tractor Tavern (4/1/12)
- The Mountain Goats – Showbox (12/17/12)
- Metz – Barboza (11/2/12)
- Converge- El Corazon (10/24/12)
- Not To Reason Why- The Sunset Tavern (7/6/12)
- You May Die In The Desert- The Comet Tavern (6/16/12)
- Explosions in the Sky – The Moore Theatre (4/10/12)
- The Gaslight Anthem- the Crocodile (7/8/12)
- Austenitic/ Reptilian Shape Shifters – Cockpit (9/15/12)
Since playing with Caravels in Las Vegas, Nevada with my other project You May Die In The Desert, they have quickly become one of my favorite bands. Please go listen to them if you dare…. http://www.myspace.com/caravels. I also had the fortune of seeing them in Seattle last month and picked up their new 7 inch which slays. Go over to top shelf and pick up a copy http://www.topshelfrecords.org/
I finally managed to write a decent love song for my wife. I have yet to record it, but the first time I played it for her I was so nervous I couldn’t even look at her. Other than that, I have not been writing many new songs. My main focus right now is ymditd and trying to finish writing our new record.
In some super exciting personal news, Kyla and I are going to be traveling to Europe in April!!! We will be visiting Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden. I am really excited to visit all of these places, but especially Sweden. I have some really good friends there that I have not seen since 2007 and I miss them tons.
Yeah I know its a little bit late, but I feel like you need to wait until the year is over and have some time to reflect before you can say what your favorites of the year were.
My top 10 albums of the year (most meaningful/most listened to)
1. The National, High Violet
2. Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
3. The Gaslight Anthem, American Slang
4. Bob Dylan, The Bootleg Series, Vol. 9: The Witmark Demos 1962-1964
5. Gifts From Enola, Gifts From Enola
6. The Mountain Goats, The Life of the World To Come
7. Victor Shade, Victor Shade
8. avesta.sweden, This Year I Will Forget
9. Johan G. Winther / Peter Broderick, Re:Create Series Vol.1
10. Rocky Votolato, True Devotion
Top 10 songs of the year.
1. My Oh My by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
2. We Used to Wait by the Arcade Fire
3. Conversation 16 by The National
4. We Did it When We Were Young by The Gaslight Anthem
5. Paper Airplanes by Signal Hill
6. estação da luz by avesta.sweden
7. Psalms 40:2 by The Mountain Goats
8. Red River by Rocky Votolato
9. Bodega Politics by Victor Shade
10. Black Gold by Foals
Take a peek at some of these songs and albums if you have not yet heard them!
I jammed with my good friend Ross last week and what will possibly be my first E&I collaboration. He was laying down some tasty bass lines. I am finding it hard to make decisions with these new songs, especially when it comes to choruses. I feel like it is my weak point and I only ever want to sing verses.
Here we are on a ride, right before the snow hit Seattle.
Keep on keeping on.
I have finally almost finished up a couple of new songs. I am really excited about them and hope to record them soon.
Ida Maria, Scraps of Tape, and a-ha.